Somtimes it is About More Than What is in the Glass


It was December 1998. My father had recently passed away and my mother was having a hard time dealing with his loss.    She was one of the most charismatic happy people on earth who always had a glow about her, and it was difficult seeing her in such a funk.  She was in her early 80’s  was feeling her age and let me know that in addition to the loss of her husband she was having a hard time dealing with the fact that she would never see her brothers/sister nieces/nephews again.  We could not bring my dad back but we could do something about having her see her family.  Along with my wife and two sons, who had never met their Sicilian family, my mother and I traveled to Sicily the for Easter 1999.  

When they heard about our visit our 60 or so aunts/uncles/cousins could not agree on who would host us for Easter dinner (they all WANTED to host us not the other way around).  Their solution was that they would rent out a banquet room at a local restaurant and they would all host us!

When we arrived at the banquet hall, we, along with my mothers brothers and sisters, were seated at the head table.  We were served a number of seafood dishes, couscous in a seafood broth, and other local favorites.  I remember looking at my momma, surrounded by her brothers,  sisters, nieces and nephew, with a huge smile on her face.  The glow that had been missing for several months had finally returned and stayed with her for the rest of her life.  There are very few moments in my life that can compete with that one.   


Along with the meal they served a local Sicilian white wine with a very unique taste.  I don’t know for certain what it was but the wines I have found that come closest to what I remember are wines consisting of primarily a grape called Grillo or include it as part of the blend.  

Every time I open a bottle and take a sip that unique taste transports me back to that day and I get to relive one of the happiest moments of my life.  I also know in my heart that mamma is looking down from heaven enjoying a glass with me.  

Do you have a wine that brings back special memories?  Please share that moment in the comments section.

Comments

  1. Boone's Farm Sparkling Wine always takes me back to those Friday night gatherings in the local park with my fellow underage drinkers (drinking age in NYC was 21 at the time). We'd light a fire in the park trash can and proceed to get a cheap buzz on...ahh the late 70's were a great time to experiment with all those wonderful vintages for under $2 a bottle....RT

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number of item anyone known as on the inside of write-up may very well be overly successful and also can be hugely successful. OK, I'll keep which usually since the main goal, best would like intended for offering the main points keep replacing, anticipating intended for additional facts. Regards.. private group tour temecula

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Mot Popular Posts

How long should you age your wine?

So you don’t like red wine huh?

Two Great Value Wines At Costco