Is it wrong to drink sweet wine?

My older son is getting married this fall and I have never seen him happier.  He is always in a good mood, I have never seen him dress and groom himself better, and it is obvious whenever they are together how much they care about each other.  That said I was conflicted about their pending union and had considered standing up and objecting when the minister got to that part of the ceremony.

The issue I was having with my future daughter in law was the fact that she only drinks sweet wines!

When I explained my dilemma to my fellow wine guys and gals I could see look of shock and concern on their faces.  They were united in their advice that I should urge my son to dump her, the sooner the better.  I could see their point but what could I do?  He seemed so happy but could that happiness last without being able to share the deep full black cherry, peppery, licorice flavor of a Cabernet Sauvignon?  Can they survive the rough spots without savoring the burst of cranberry, vanilla, and tobacco found in a glass of Pinot Noir?  What hope is there that any children they may have will grow up to be well adjusted if their mom and dad have never experienced the joy of a dry French rose?  Oh the torment. 

I was about to get in my car, pick up some of my fellow wine guys and gals and drive over to their house and do an intervention.  If that did not go well I was prepared to kidnap my son.  Then I thought to myself “What if she is right and sweet wines are not all that bad?” I called my friends told them to stand down, put on a disguise, and went down to the wine shop to buy a few sweet wines. 

I tried a 2012 Urban German Riesling from the Mosel region.  I hate to admit it but it was wonderful.  It had a ripe floral aroma, just the right amount of sweetness, and had rich fruit flavors. Yum!  All this and it was only $12.  I tried a Luisi Moscato d’Asti from the Piedmont region of Italy.  Again it was sweet but not clawing.  I could taste peach and melon, and enjoyed the floral flavors and aroma.  $12.  I then tried a bottle of “The Fluffer” a sparkling wine that I had purchased from Arizona Hops and Vines on a wine tasting trip I had made to the Sonoita region of Arizona.  I originally bought it to serve to my daughter in law to be but not knowing if I would ever see her again I decided to open it up.  Again I was pleasantly surprised.  It is a sparkling wine with a lot of character.  It was refreshing, fruity, had a wonderful aroma and not overly sweet.  $25.

It was me not her that was transformed.  When going out for spicy oriental food I proudly and openly order a sweet wine with my meal, and don't care if the waiter gives me that look.  At home, when I just want to enjoy a glass of wine by itself, I will occasionally open sweeter wine.  Even though they won’t say so in public some other wine guys and gals have sent me encrypted emails telling me that they occasionally sneak out for a sweet one as well.  It was about time our group started to embrace diversity.

Needless to say the wedding is still on.  Even though I won’t stop trying to expand my future daughter in laws wine horizons, I have learned to accept her, and dare say love her, and thank her for helping me grow not only in my appreciation of wine, but in my appreciation of those that are different.  

I see nothing but happiness in their future.  

Comments

  1. Funny! Congrats on both the wedding and visiting the sweet world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Mot Popular Posts

How long should you age your wine?

So you don’t like red wine huh?

Two Great Value Wines At Costco