Buying Wine at the Super Market



Mrs. Andrea Bodine of Dermott, Arkansas writes:

“Hey Wine Guy, I read your informative and insightful article about where to buy wine. I know you think I should go to an independently owned wine shop and avoid the super market but I just don’t have the time.  Why it is all I can do to run out to the Piggly Wiggly and back between episodes of House Hunter International to buy that nights dinner.  I’d much rather find out if they went with the beach house on the Timor or the ranch in the outback than spend a day looking for wine.  I’d just as soon buy my wine at the same time I am buying my fryer, yams, and okra.  Is there any way I can get a decent bottle of wine at the super market?”

Well Andrea first of all thank you for recognizing how insightful and informative my article was.  After all I am the “Wine Guy” so you should expect nothing less.  That said if you insist on turning a deaf ear to my advice and buy wine at the super market here are a few things you should do.    

First of all stay away from bottles with dust on them.  A lot of supermarket wine sits on the shelf for a long , long time.  Prior to that there is a good chance that the wine probably sat in store room without proper temperature controls.   There is a good chance the lack of proper storage has caused the wine to spoil.  If it was on the shelf for a long time and not stored on its side there is also a good chance that the cork has dried out.   

Don't buy any wine over $20.  Most people that buy more expensive wine don’t do it at the supermarket.  Because of that a more expensive bottle of wine has probably sat there a while your chances of getting a bottle with a problem are greater.

Buy from one of the better mass-market producers like J. Lohr, Bogle, Hess Select or Ravenswood. Washington State produces some outstanding mass market wines.  Look for Chateau Ste Michelle, Columbia Crest, and Hogue Cellars.   Those producers generally make wine that exceeds their price points and as a result the wine sells quickly and does not sit around a long time.   

Andrea, I still think you are better off avoiding the supermarket to buy your wine, but since you obviously didn't take the "Wine Guy's" advice to heart at least throw me a bone and follow my advice outlined above.

Agree? Disagree? Have a question? Have some advice of your own?  Please use the comment section. 

Comments

  1. I bought Ravenswood 2012 old vine zinfandel at a supermarket. ( a friend of ours suggested this wine while in Vegas a few years ago) Will I be disappointed when I open it this holiday weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comments to Andrea. The mass marketed wines are generally a pretty good deal and the wine, although not connoisseur status, is decent. The $20 rule is a given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2:36 You have a very wise friend. You are lucky. You should not be disappointed let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Mot Popular Posts

How long should you age your wine?

So you don’t like red wine huh?

Two Great Value Wines At Costco